Tips for Cleaning Solar Panels
Solar panels are important but solar panels cleaning is important also. Why? Solar power plants (SPP) have a system that will generate energy for 25-30 years by their maintenance and energy efficiency. Although solar is an unlimited and sustainable energy source, the energy efficiency of photovoltaic panels in solar energy systems are decreasing with each year. One of the most important reasons for this decrease in efficiency is the loss of electron activity in the semiconductor cells over time. In addition, there are many environmental conditions, such as material/technology, labor and contamination of photovoltaic panel surfaces.
The photovoltaic panels used in solar power plants can generate energy in the desired manner if the ambient conditions are clear and the surfaces are clean. However, plant secretions such as dust, resin, pollen and bird droppings adhere to the photovoltaic panel surface and reduce the efficiency of the plant.
Cleaning of photovoltaic panels is also important for reducing the impact of environmental factors and for maximizing efficiency throughout the operation period. In solar power plants cleaning, the use of chemicals such as tap water containing the ion, cleaning products with corrosive effect and commercial detergents should be avoided. In the cleaning of photovoltaic panels used in solar power plants, ultra deionized pure water which is free from ions should be used and the maintenance should be done with this special water. Thus, indirectly, long-term maintenance costs will be reduced to a minimum.
De-ionized pure water’s features are as follows;
- De-ionized water is purified from water ions, therefore it does not contain any mineral and corrosive substances which may precipitate on the photovoltaic panel.
- De-ionized pure water increases the sunlight absorption of the cells because it prevents sedimentation on the surface of the photovoltaic panel.
- De-ionized pure water acts as an insulating material against high voltage because it does not contain ion, so the risk of distortion is low during cleaning.
- The photovoltaic panels cleaned with deionized pure water remain clean for long periods of time. Therefore, dust particles, pollens, soot and soot in the air cannot find a ground to adhere on the photovoltaic panel surface.
- De-ionized water does not cause to pollution.
- It does not feed the soil beneath the photovoltaic panel because it does not contain minerals. Thus, prevents the growth of plants that will cause shading.
- De-ionized pure water prevents the photovoltaic panel surface from being corroded and ensures that photovoltaic panels are constantly new.
Other criterias that are must be careful are as follows during cleaning photovoltaic panels;
- High voltage should be observed and necessary protective equipment should be used against distortion.
- Do not press and walking to panels during cleaning
- Used materials and using forces to photovoltaic panels can be cause to macro/micro breaking on the cells. This breakings cause to comprise of hot points and it brings to fire risk. This is a situation to be avoided.
- After cleaning and maintenance work, photovoltaic panels should be checked with a thermal camera in order to determine if there are micro / macro cracks.
- Cleaning and maintenance of photovoltaic panels should be doing at the same time.
Maintenance of the photovoltaic panels should be doing without disrupt for efficiency conservation and resistance to physical conditions when season transitions and rapid change of air temperature. IN-TEC Energy Solutions, as an EPC company that has achieved many successes in the renewable energy industry, provide service from SPP installation to maintenance and cleaning of photovoltaic panels.
Read our other posts;